Thursday, October 17, 2019

October 15 - Grace Bedell

Image courtesy wikipedia.org
On this day, in 1860, eleven year old Grace Bedell of Westfield, New York wrote a letter to Abraham Lincoln, encouraging him to grow a beard. Grace was born on November 4, 1848 in Albion, New York, the fifth of sixth children and the eldest daughter of a fiercely Republican family. After attending a political rally in Westfield, Grace’s father brought home a flyer with characterized drawings of the Republican candidates, Abraham Lincoln and Hannibal Hamlin. Grace fervently wished for everyone she knew to vote for Lincoln and was eager to learn everything her father had seen at the event. When she saw the picture of Lincoln, she immediately turned to her mother and declared that he would look better with a beard and that someone should tell him. So she wrote the following letter to the candidate.




Image courtesy reddit.com
Hon A B Lincoln...

Dear Sir

My father has just home from the fair and brought home your picture and Mr. Hamlin's. I am a little girl only 11 years old, but want you should be President of the United States very much so I hope you wont think me very bold to write to such a great man as you are. Have you any little girls about as large as I am if so give them my love and tell her to write to me if you cannot answer this letter. I have yet got four brothers and part of them will vote for you any way and if you let your whiskers grow I will try and get the rest of them to vote for you you would look a great deal better for your face is so thin. All the ladies like whiskers and they would tease their husbands to vote for you and then you would be President. My father is going to vote for you and if I was a man I would vote for you to (sic) but I will try to get every one to vote for you that I can I think that rail fence around your picture makes it look very pretty I have got a little baby sister she is nine weeks old and is just as cunning as can be. When you direct your letter direct to Grace Bedell Westfield Chautauqua County New York.

I must not write any more answer this letter right off Good bye

Grace Bedell

Image courtesy wikipedia.org
Lincoln not only received the letter, but he replied back to Grace.

Springfield, Ill Oct 19, 1860

Miss Grace Bedell

My dear little Miss

Your very agreeable letter of the 15th is received. I regret the necessity of saying I have no daughters. I have three sons – one seventeen, one nine, and one seven, years of age. They, with their mother, constitute my whole family. As to the whiskers, having never worn any, do you not think people would call it a silly affectation if I were to begin it now?

Your very sincere well wisher

A. Lincoln

While he made no promises in his reply, Lincoln almost immediately started letting his whiskers grow. By the time election day rolled around, he had a full beard which he wore for the rest of his life.

Image courtesy goerie.com
After winning the election of 1860, Lincoln travelled to Washington DC on his inaugural journey by train. As luck would have it, that trip included a stop in Westfield, New York. When the Presidential Train came into town, in spite of the thousands of well-wishers who greeted it, Lincoln specifically asked if he could meet young Grace Bedell. She was brought forward and sat on the edge of the platform with the new President. They spoke for a few minutes, during which Lincoln said “Gracie, look at my whiskers. I have been growing them for you.” Lincoln gave Grace a kiss before reboarding his train and riding off into history.

A few years later, when she was 15, Grace wrote to Lincoln a second time, asking for a job with the Treasury Department to help support her family. It’s unknown if the President ever received that letter. Just a few months later it didn’t matter as he’d been assassinated and the country was moved in an entirely different direction. Shortly after that, Grace married a Union veteran and moved to Delphos, Kansas. She lived out the remainder of her life there, passing away on November 2, 1936, two days short of turning 88. If you ever find yourself at the intersection of US 20 and NY 394 in Westfield, be sure to take a moment to enjoy the statue there commemorating the birth of one the most famous beards of all time.

Also on this day, in Disney history: Larry Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment